DolphiniOS version 3.1.1 has been released! This update adds support for non-jailbroken devices with A12 processors and newer running iOS 14.2.
For downloads and installation instructions, head to our website: https://dolphinios.oatmealdome.me
Looking for the PC version of Dolphin? Get it from https://dolphin-emu.org! If you wish to support the official Dolphin project and its developers, consider visiting their website without an ad blocker enabled.
What is Dolphin?
Dolphin is an emulator for the GameCube and Wii consoles. It lets you play games made for these consoles on PCs, Macs, phones, and tablets.
For more information, go to https://dolphin-emu.org.
Expanded Non-Jailbroken Device Support
Non-jailbroken devices running iOS 14.2 with A12 and newer processors are now supported. Please refer to the following list to see if your device has an A12 or newer:
- iPhone XS, XS Max, XR, and later
- iPad Mini (5th gen) and later
- iPad Air (3rd gen) and later
- iPad (8th gen) and later
- iPad Pro (3rd gen) and later
This list may be incorrect. Double-check by Googling your device’s processor.
Recently, it was found that it is possible to use fast CPU emulation (JIT) starting on iOS 14. This is thanks to research by UTM team (shoutouts to osy86).
Unfortunately, devices with A11 processors and lower do not appear to work with the method we use to achieve JIT on iOS 14.2. Therefore, these devices are not compatible with DolphiniOS without a jailbreak like checkra1n. It may be possible that they do support it, and more research is needed to figure out how to activate JIT on these older devices. There are no guarantees that this is the case, however.
Fast RAM Emulation on Non-Jailbroken Devices with 4GB+ RAM
The performance penalty imposed by the lack of fast RAM emulation (fastmem) can be avoided on non-jailbroken devices with at least 4GB of RAM. No paid developer account is needed.
However, around 23 games are incompatible due to the nature of the hack used to get fastmem working on these devices. When playing any of these games, slowmem will be used instead and the usual performance penalty will be applied. See the detailed changelog below for more information.
If your device has less than 4GB of RAM, you can still compile DolphiniOS with Xcode and activate the Extended Virtual Addressing capability. However, a $99/year Apple Developer subscription is required.
Jailbroken devices always have fastmem enabled, regardless of device RAM size.
Experimental Odyssey Jailbreak Support
We have made some changes that may let DolphiniOS function on Odyssey. Please test and report back if it works.
- Added support for iOS 14.2 on non-jailbroken devices with A12 processors or newer.
- The latest AltStore is required to use this version.
- Other signing services may not work because they need to be updated to support a new code signature version.
- If you are having an issue with an alternate signing service, try AltStore.
- Thanks to osy86 for their research!
- psychicpaper support has been reintroduced for non-jailbroken devices on iOS 13.4.1 or below.
- Added “hacky” fastmem for non-jailbroken devices using free developer accounts.
- This type of fastmem only works if you have at least 4GB of RAM.
- Performance will be similar to a jailbroken device or a non-jailbroken device with a paid developer account.
- However, around 23 games are incompatible.
- Any game that requires full MMU emulation is not compatible.
- When launching one of these games, fastmem will be turned off and there will be some performance loss.
- A sampling of incompatible games can be found here under “Theory 3”, “Theory 3.5”, and “Theory 4”.
- Thanks to Riley and his little birdie for the information!
- Made it so that stopping the emulation on non-jailbroken devices running iOS 13.5 to iOS 13.7 will quit DolphiniOS.
- This will help prevent the hanging bug that occurs when DolphiniOS is not quit via the Settings menu.
- Added an easy way to toggle between the motion-controlled pointer and the touchscreen pointer for emulated Wiimotes.
- Find it in the Touchscreen section in Controllers.
- Added recentering support for the motion-controlled pointer.
- The pointer will automatically be recentered on game startup.
- You can manually recenter the pointer in the in-game settings menu.
- Added a visibility timeout to the top bar pull-down button that appears when a controller is connected.
- After 5 seconds, the button will disappear.
- Tap anywhere on the screen to reveal it again.
- Updated first start tutorial text to mention how to bring down the top bar when a controller is connected.
- Removed Patreon prompt on startup.
- Removed Donate option in the Settings menu.